Monday, February 4, 2008

Monday Febuary 4

things are going well today, I have dinner in the crockpot, its a recipe I have never tried. it is
a kielbalsa vegtable paella. I have been trying to use the crockpot alot lately so that there is always something warm to eat for dinnner. Yesterday I made chicken mole in the crockpot and
it was very good, I just put skinless chicken thighs,mole,corn and onion and set it on low all day.
I am going to grind some wheat in my vita mix to start the sourdough starter. I love sourdough
bread and I have no idea why I have not tried to make it before. so this will be my first time;)
I definalty want to get some cabbage to make homeade saurkraut, thanx to cjs blog, it looks
so easy and its super good for you. I have to finish washing the bed linens,vacuum,mop and
dust . I am going to go buy some bare root blackberry and rasberry bushes today to plant.
also I want to plant a couple of bare root anna apple trees. I am also going to start planting
in the garden again. I have decided to go with a raised bed garden in my back yard because
I have had a hard time growing in the soil because its really hard and fulll of clay. I got the
homeschool books that I ordered today , and I am so excited to read them. well I must get
back to work and play:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you were having a productive day :o) Hope the rest of your week has gone well. I've got dinner in the crockpot today - it makes life so much easier as it's ready when you are without having to spend time making it just before you eat. What is the vita mix? I ask because I grind wheat in our coffee grinder but it's so time consuming I'm looking for something a bit better.

Anonymous said...

Oh BTW just saw your question on Candy's blog about Stephanie: she deleted her blog and started again. I've got a link to her new blog from mine. HTH. Susan. :o)

Omelay said...

hailey, per your question at the pile, chickens are easy. they just need a coop. an old shed that can be sealed from varmints will work fine. they like to roam freely and will put themselves to bed. you just have to lock the door after dusk and collect eggs.

you have to be able to kill chickens to keep them else in about two and a half years you'll have a bunch of freeloaders that are only there to kill bugs and be aesthetically pleasing--which is enough for some.

story's guide to raising chickens is the quintessential book for raising chickens.

twelve hens will give about eight eggs per day nine months of the year.

mcmurrary.com is where we buy ours they are worth the extra expense. in my opinion their quality is unparalleled.

Omelay said...

haley, sorry not hailey;(

Momma said...

H-
This sauer kraut recipe is in the Nourishing Traditions book. I love it, and if you have that book available, i would DEFINATLY make the recipe for Cortido as this is SO WONDERFUL!!!!!
Get me some Brats now! Heck yeah!
cj